Thursday, June 17, 2010

Many questions in one about my medical problems, ok?

1. If a doctor says that my EKG looks normal, does that mean that I don%26#039;t have ANY heart problems?



2. If a doctor at a clinic said that I had a low heart rate and sent me to a hospital to get an echocardiogram or eco, but then the doctors at the hospital said that it wasn%26#039;t necessary, should that have me worried?



3. Sometimes I get a pain in my chest that lasts about 1 second, then a cough follows, and finally I gasp for air; what could that be?



Many questions in one about my medical problems, ok?

Firstly I am no doctor. If you have a worry about your health the best thing to do is to insist that it is investigated or explained so that at least you wont worry yourself sick.



Secondly was it an ECG or EKG that you had, as the former is for the heart and the latter for the brain. If it was an ECG and they say that was normal, then that means their were no abnormalities on your ECG.



The pain with cough and gasp could indicate valve regurgitation in your heart or general circulatory system. This is usually identified in an ECG or Echocardiogram, so you might want to insist on having an Echocardiogram done. That could account for your low heart rate.



Anyhow, have further investigations done.



Many questions in one about my medical problems, ok?

The EKG measures the electrical activity in the heart. There can be problems with valves or the muscle. Since you have been examined by a few doctors, they probably would have spotted those problems. Without other symptoms, a low heart rate is OK. I had a heart rate in the low 50s at rest when I ran everyday.



I assume you were seen by cardiologists at the hospital. They are the experts.



I do not know what the 1 second pain is from, but a heart symptom would last much longer than that and be accompanied by other symptoms.



Hey CC: Both EKG and ECG are acceptable. It was invented by Willem Einthoven a Dutch doctor in 1903. The German spelling is Elektrokardiogramm.



I am an RN.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive