Thursday, June 17, 2010

Would a pacemaker help with SVT.?

I have had SVT for the last 8 years and i am tired all the time from the meds being switch to try and control it. I have had ablation therapy once and am told i have to have another one. I am sick and tired of having to go to the emergancy room for this problem all the time to have adenisene. I am sick and tired of being sick and tired. I am only 28 yrs old and i want to have a life. I am always worried about can i do this and not have an episode. Sometimes i will be laying in bed and it will just start. My heart rate has been up to 250bpm then drop to 60 and back up to 200. It is all over the place. When this happens i can%26#039;t do anything. I have passed out before. I have 2 small kids, i can%26#039;t be worried all the time about my heart going to fast and what will happen. I have trained my 3yr old to phone 911 if mommy is sick, but really what kind of life do i have always being worried. Would a pacemaker help and should i fight to have one put in.



Would a pacemaker help with SVT.?

Reentrant supraventricular tachycardias involve reentrant pathways with a component above the bifurcation of the His bundle. Patients have sudden episodes of palpitations that begin and terminate abruptly; some have dyspnea or chest discomfort. Diagnosis is clinical and by ECG. Treatment is with vagotonic maneuvers and, if they are ineffective, with IV adenosine or nondihydropyridine Ca channel blockers for narrow QRS rhythms, procainamide or amiodarone for wide QRS rhythms, or synchronized cardioversion for all cases.



Implantable cardioverter-defibrillator



If your underlying heart condition puts you at high risk of having a life-threatening tachycardia, your doctor may recommend an implantable cardioverter-defibrillator (ICD).



An implantable cardioverter-defibrillator 閳?a pager-sized device implanted in your chest like a pacemaker 閳?detects and stops dangerous arrhythmias. The ICD continuously monitors your heartbeat and delivers precisely calibrated electrical shocks to restore a normal heart rhythm.



Please note that I am not a medical professional.



Consult your doctor.



Would a pacemaker help with SVT.?

I really didn%26#039;t want to answer this question since I believe that the first answer given is quite complete and probably will be the best answer.



However, because complications can include an increased risk of heart disease I would like to post a couple of links to natural or alternative treatments that may either help your condition or help to prevent further complications. I emphasize the word %26quot;may%26quot;.



That said consider the following links. These links mention how seafood/fish oil can reduce the risks of heart disease. While they mostly claim that this is due to the omega 3 oils, the webmaster feels that the 72 trace elements in seafood may be a bigger contributing factor. My wife and I try to eat seafood everyday and at meals where we don%26#039;t eat it we take a good fish oil supplement.



Would a pacemaker help with SVT.?

I don%26#039;t recognize SVT. Is VT short for Ventricular Tach.?



I have that complex myself.



I have a pacemaker/defib. for about 5 years now. On my second pacemaker currently.



I take about 6 diff. meds. I just had an ablation. They added the drug Salotarol. I take 160 mgs (80 x2 daily) It seems to be helping me a bit. Also, coreg, carvedalol, digoxin. Also seeming to help is Fish Oil caps and Magnesium Glycinate 400mg daily. The Mag. seems to be helpful too.



I get shocks (therapies they call them, Ha! (not) too frequently. VERY PAINFUL plus you run around freaked out it%26#039;s going to happen.



I can appreciate your dilemma. Instead of shocks, you pass out. I don%26#039;t know which is worse.



As bad as the shocks are, at least you don%26#039;t pass out.



I get shocked and just keep on going. What are you going to do but die otherwise? I had 4 shocks in less than 60 sec. not long ago. I was a blithering idiot after that for a while. Not fun. But I got up and walked away. 6 of those in a row and you%26#039;re likely dead meat.



Passing out is not acceptable. Who knows what happens to you when you fall, crash, drown etc? Or just don%26#039;t wake up!



I have very similar symptoms to your own as you describe them. I%26#039;m 60 but otherwise very healthy and active. I%26#039;m a dancer, teach dance and used to perform. You can imagine how this has cramped my style. But I still do it.



And to a certain limit I do fine. No more performances but plenty of social dancing which I like.



Fiddle around with the drug thing as much as you can. Having an electrocution chamber inside your heart is NO FUN.



But you may have to endure this. The pacer is AMAZING as a gizmo and what it will do, record and how it can be adjusted.



Keep working on the Rx%26#039;s. I guess the ablation thing might be OK too but hasn%26#039;t worked for me. I know very few Vtac people who it has worked for.



One good thing is the pacemaker might keep you out of the hospital more. Course I%26#039;m not a doctor and can%26#039;t advise you but imagine getting shocked instead of passing out without notice might be better. I wouldn%26#039;t wish it on anybody. Least of all a young man such as you. A pacemaker might make some sense.



Check it out completely before you do it. Once it%26#039;s in there %26quot;THEY OWN YOU%26quot;! I frequently feel like a biometric puppet.



Good health to you. (I%26#039;d wish you the best my heart could provide ...but that wouldn%26#039;t be very much!)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive