Saturday, October 31, 2009

I have just been diagnosed with SVT. Is there anyone else outthere who is taking flecainide medicati

I was just diagnosed last nite after having a svt attack. My heart beat went to 240bpm and after an hour of the heart rate not going down i was given adenosine which was very scarey. I am now on a waiting list to see a cardiologist. When i told them i was going on holiday next week they decided to put me on medication just in case. They put me on flecainide 50mg two times a day. Is anyone else on this medication for svt. I read the side effects and they appear to be endless? also cos im going on holiday i wanted to know if i can drink a resonable amount of alchol with this medication? If anyone has any information it would really help!



I have just been diagnosed with SVT. Is there anyone else outthere who is taking flecainide medication 4 it?

Flecainide in an anti-arrhythmic drug which works by correcting irregular heartbeats and slowing down the speed at which your heart beats.



It is usually taken twice a day (every 12 hours). You need to know how your body reacts to flecainide before you attempt to drive, use machinery etc. You are obviously aware of the (potential) side effects, so I won%26#039;t go into that!



I%26#039;m assuming that you were hospitalised for your SVT and that you were in the A%26amp;E/ER dept when you were given adenosine. I%26#039;m a little suprised at your quick discharge, as usually flecainide is started in hospital, where you would be kept under close constant observation, so that they can assess how your heart reacts to the drug.



As it%26#039;s only a week until your holiday, is there any chance that you could delay going away until both you and your doctor are sure that flecainide suits you? If you can%26#039;t, then just to be on the safe side, I%26#039;d advise that you make a note of the address and telephone number of the hospital closest to where you will be staying. You could program this into your mobile phone. It may also be useful to carry some information in your wallet/purse to say that you are on flecainide for SVT.



Flecainide can make your skin more sensetive to sunlight, so you need to avoid exposure to strong sunlight and use a high factor (above factor 15) sunscreen until you know how your skin reacts.



It is recommended that alcohol should be avoided when you are taking flecainide (sorry!) as it may further depress normal heart function. It%26#039;s also worth bearing in mind that alcohol can make you careless, and it%26#039;s important to take your flecainide at the right time! Smoking can also reduce the absorption of flecainide.



Hope this is of some help to you. Good luck, have a great holiday!



I have just been diagnosed with SVT. Is there anyone else outthere who is taking flecainide medication 4 it?

If your heart rate went up to 240bpm i wouldn%26#039;t even think of drinking any amount of alcohol.



I have just been diagnosed with SVT. Is there anyone else outthere who is taking flecainide medication 4 it?

When I was diagnosed by a professor as having SVT, I was discharged without any medication %26amp; it has never come back.



I have just been diagnosed with SVT. Is there anyone else outthere who is taking flecainide medication 4 it?

You can drink alcohol but it is not advised to do it regularly. Do it as a %26quot;secial%26quot; occasion, not an everyday thing. Learn to like decaf things too. Caffeine is a heart accelerant, so be careful there too. I take Tenormin for my SVT, I take 20mg per day and it seems to be under control. SVT is an electrical wiring problem in the heart. The Doctor will explain it very well but basically the heart keeps getting stimulated to be, even though it already is. Hence the rapid heartbeat. There are things you can try, none worked for me and I was given the Adenosine to stop mine too. Look up SVT on the net and you will find the things to try to stop it if it comes back. The medicine dosage is a trial and error deal, they will keep changing it until you have just enough to stop it, but not so much as to be too much. As an offshoot my b/p is now down to 106/78!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive