Saturday, October 31, 2009

Is Bikram yoga an effective calorie burner?

I recently started doing Bikram Yoga (sometimes called Hot Yoga). It is a 90 minute class in a room heated to 110 F. The class is strenuous and I do feel my heart leaping out of my chest at times. I%26#039;ve gotten quite attached to this kind of workout because it gives that satisfying wrung out feeling at the end. However, I need to lose 20lbs so it needs to be a calorie burner!



I wanted to know if anyone has done this type of workout and gotten any solid calorie burn data, like by using a heart rate monitor. I%26#039;ve seen all sorts of stats online from 400 to 900 cals per hour. Anyone got something solid?



Is Bikram yoga an effective calorie burner?

I have studied yoga for 10 years and have taken a bikram class.



I would not solely rely on the bikram class for weight loss. How many are you taking a week 5? 3? 1?



Keep taking the class (I like the deeper stretch the heat provides) but augment it with other activities so you are working out 45 minutes a session 4-5 days a week. Throw in a couple longer ones if you can.



Is Bikram yoga an effective calorie burner?

Yoga is a good calorie burner. It%26#039;s very good exercise. Combined with eating healthy, you can lose weight by doing it.



However, Bikram Yoga (a.k.a. Hot Yoga) doesn%26#039;t burn any more calories than other Yoga. Performing exercise in heat doesn%26#039;t burn more calories than performing the same exercise in cooler areas.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive